Where is Waterford?
Waterford is a city and a port located in the South East of the county. Waterford City is the oldest city in Ireland. It is the designated Gateway to the South East Region, with good shopping, social-life and facilities for sport and recreation. It is the fifth biggest city of the Irish Republic with a population of about 50,000 people. It is easily accessible from the capital Dublin (160km) by train or coach.
It is an ancient walled city with many interesting remains and attractive buildings. Its most famous export is the unique Waterford Crystal. For more information see http://www.waterfordtourism.org
Why is Waterford so Special?
- Ireland’s oldest city – filled with historic sites and cultural heritage, walk in the steps of the Vikings!
- Safe and welcoming student-friendly city.
- Compact city centre where you can go everywhere on foot, by bike or on excellent public transport.
- Great shopping, nightlife, cultural events, festivals and music scene.
- Awarded Ireland’s cleanest city with no pollution or traffic problems.
- Award winning UNESCO Geopark along the stunning coastline of Waterford recognised for its natural, rugged beauty and geological heritage.